Friday, September 24, 2010

Leaving Bush House

        Here we are, today was my last day in Bush House, the main office for the BBC World Service in London. This morning I had a meeting with a young British producer pitching stories for Al Jazeera's documentaries. We talked about East Africa and Haiti. 

A couple of hours later, I was sitting in front of my computer in Bush House, editing my last piece from Europe for BBC Afrique, a 15-minute interview with the Chadian filmmaker Mahamat Saleh Haroun, and recording the last leads for our week-end magazines. My voice is still going to be heard on the broadcasts from London this weekend, while I will already be away.

So I am ready, and I am leaving for Nairobi from London Heathrow on Sunday morning. I have hardly started to pack my luggage is, but myself, I am almost there already, in thoughts. I have been dreaming of Kenya for weeks now; it is about time I go.

It’s still hard to believe I am leaving Bush House in spite of all this excitement. This year in London, in the BBC has been amazingly interesting and delightful. I have been happy and passionate here, in the city and in my job, as nowhere else. I would always be grateful to London, to the UK, to the BBC and of course, to my great friends in London. And I can promise one thing: I will be back.



No comments:

Post a Comment