Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Settling back in Nairobi

      Life goes on in Nairobi. After three weeks on the road, I’m back in my Brookside neighbourhood.
Today, I was getting ready to go and work from the BBC office in Nairobi city centre. As I’ve started to do in January, I went out walking toward Waiyaki Way in order to take the matatu, the local minibus.

While climbing the hill of my compound, I looked up at the sky…. Heavy with clouds, but still no rain. Kenya and especially Nairobi are supposed to be in the middle of the rain season in April but hardly a few drops of water poured on the Kenyan capital since March.

Longing the red-clayed sidewalk-free road leading to the highway, I can only notice that Nairobi is already very busy at 9am. I always have to wait a few minutes along the highway indicating that I’m waiting for the next bus to town, since there’s no bus stop. Most buses were not going downtown this morning, and at least they let me know, which I can be grateful for, as usually they just invite you on board no matter what your destination is.

Finally grabbing the right matatu intending to stop on University Way, where I can end my way toward the BBC Office, I was welcome by a pleasant surprised. Packed like sardines in a crushed tin box, most people are, as usual, trying to avoid my glaze as I look for not-to-be-found seat. But suddenly, an elderly Indian Kenyan man started waking up. To leave his seat to me. First, this never happens, either in Kenya nor anywhere by the way. Second, I am just much younger and he much more deserves to seat comfortably. He noticed there was a tiny seat free in between two big men at the very end of the bus and intended to seat there to leave me the more accessible space. I was suddenly moved. He said his religion taught him to always look out for and take care of women.

Ten minutes later, it was already time to get out of the matutu and keep on walking to my office. The day started nicely. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment