Thursday, April 7, 2011

From Somaliland to Northern Uganda...

 I'm neglecting this blog... Sorry. But I'm on the road again, having a little stop in Nairobi just for today.
Just to update, I left Hargeisa last Friday after a week visiting Somaliland with the UNODC, the UN Office on drugs and crime.



We were allowed to visit the new prison the UN helped to rehabilitate, in Hargeisa, the capital of Somaliland, on its opening day, March 29.

I also went to the port city of Berbera on the Somaliland coast, to visit the old prison built by the Ottomans and to meet with the Coast Guards.



Back in Kenya last Friday, I left for Kampala on Saturday to report on the different methods to fight malaria the Ugandan Ministry of Health has been using since 2000.

In Northern Uganda, around the city of Lira, an insecticide called DDT has been sprayed from the 1960s and again from 2008. But it seems to be pretty toxic and to have ruined the development of some organic farming in the region, especially in the district of Oyam and Apac, near Lira.


I'll be writing some more stories on all those topics soon.

Cheers,
melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment